Monday, February 14, 2011

don't be scared

Chris told me I quite possibly got a little type happy on the last post and this is true, so I'm sorry and this one will be much shorter. I promise. (I have no idea how I'll ever get to talk about his siblings if I shouldn't type so much at once.. We'll figure that one out later).

I really just wanted to talk about one of our latest achievements that I am very proud of. Don't get too excited it's about Zuri of course :) Remember how we've always had a dreadful time getting her to sleep and stay asleep? Well our horrible days of that are basically through! Thank heavens, we were starting to die.

A little over a month ago Chris told me it just had to stop. I agreed, but I had no idea what the heck we were suppose to do. She was rocked and fed to sleep (I know that's like number 1 'no' in every single baby book/article known to mankind) her whole little life. I just didn't know how to stop feeding her to sleep and I absolutely HATE it when she cries to sleep, because she doesn't just cry she screams bloody murder for a very very long time. Then she would wake up 3-4 times a night cause her diaper was so full. Why was it so full? oh, cause we just kept feeding her back to sleep every time she woke up. Nice little cycle we had going one right?

I tried the "No cry-sleep solution" book I found, and I read all sorts of articles on how to stop feeding your kid to sleep. That didn't work for us. Zuri was just way too dependent on having us there to fall asleep. It was getting stressful and once we found out I was preggers again Chris said that was it, we all needed to sleep.

He did all the research this time and made sure we stuck to the plan. We had a good routine already, but instead of staying with her we would put her in her crib give her a little pat a 'love you' and left. uuuuhhh it was awful! The first few nights she screamed for over an hour. Screamed! I had to stick in my ear phones to not freak out.

Now most normal children would get the pictures about a week into it. Took her about a month and she still cries a little when she goes down, but very long explanation short she is now an expert sleeper. It's freaking wonderful. She dives for her crib now and doesn't care much about her bottle. (weaning completely is in sight) She wakes up once about midnight for a snuggle then goes right back down. ahhh the sleep is wonderful for us.
This was a huge feat for us. I know it sounds silly, but it was really not awesome. We have learned the hard way for the next round of child. I thought I'd share the joy!

Hope your Valentines was wonderful. Chris got me a beautiful rose bouquet (from a fancy florist even!) and I got him a pack of soda (silly I know, but I try to keep him healthy so I never buy him soda unless he asks or buys it himself) But he found it in the car trunk the other day! Surprise ruined, but it's ok cause he was pretty stoked about it.

Our other news is Chris quit his job. Today was his first day off his crazy schedule and it was wonderful. He is now very motivated to work on the house to get it in ship shape for summer selling time! He is currently painting the kitchen and put in a new track light above the sink last night. It looks great already. We picked green for the color and we hope it works out. We don't normally go bold for walls, but we'd like to be a little different.

Well that post wasn't shorter then the last (sorry) I have no idea how to edit apparently.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved your last post, I love to read all the stuff you write. Especially when it is about me, haha, just kidding. I'm so glad Zurbert is sleeping better. That is so great! We love you!

paula said...

So glad all is working out. Now finish school!! Or should I say graduate!!!

Erin said...

I just wanted to say thank you so much for this post. We are currently enduring the "crying it out" stage. It is good to know that I'm not the only mom who is a big chicken about letting their babies cry and that it will get better. So glad you guys are doing well.

Steven and Yoo said...

We just went through the same thing (on a much smaller scale probably). I think it was easier because Deanna is still pretty young. But it's way nice not having her wake up 4 times every night wanting to eat. We didn't know until our last doctor visit that she doesn't need to eat at night anymore. Congratulations on being able to sleep!